Saturday 16 May 2009

Catching up (I know it's a boring title!)

But I really am catching up with everything this weekend after a very busy couple of weeks.

Last weekend was one of the most memorable in a long time. I wish I had discovered Toastmasters International many years ago. Toastmasters has cured me of my phobia of 'belonging to things' which probably stems from having been brought up in a religious cult that controls its members every waking thought and deed.

Many things will remain with me from last weekend, but here are a few highlights:
Getting dressed up as Riff Raff from the Rocky Horror Show, and walking from my room, stone cold sober, with a long blonde wig on, to the bar. Halfway there I met a very attractive young lady who was dressed up as one of the girls from Abba. Later that evening I had some pictures taken - one of them is currently my profile picture on Facebook, but not for long!
The International Speech Contest was fantastic, but my favourite memory will be the farmer's wife from Ireland who made it to the finals of the Speech Evaluation Contest.
There are no negatives in Toastmasters. Everyone is there for their own personal development, and to help other people develop. There are people from all religions, political and sexual persuasions and walks of life. Everyone is supportive, and all know how to have fun.

Work has intervened in my life this week, but I am going to keep work out of this blog, except to say that without the work there can't be all the other things in life. I consider myself fortunate to have great friends, a wonderful social life and good health.

Last night I had the great pleasure of seeing Tim Garland's Lighthouse Trio at the Peterborough Jazz Club (yes, there is culture in Peterborough - you just have to look for it!)
I had last seen Tim Garland play when he was a young, up and coming saxophonist around the London club scene, probably twenty years ago. Now he is an accomplished player with an international reputation and an eclectic portfolio of music. This music demands to be heard live, and long may it continue.

As I am typing this I am listening to the great Tony Cozier commentating on the England v. West Indies Test match at Durham. I am reminded of 1979, when I first got into cricket, and yes, Tony Cozier was commentating on Test Match Special then too. One day I will tell the story of how I got into cricket. Now I have other things to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment